Heel in a Figure 8
Supplies You Need
Diane» Read Bio
In this lesson you and your dog will learn to heel in a Figure 8 pattern around two people. This is a competition obedience exercise that is tested in the Novice and Open levels.
Prerequisite: Before starting this lesson be sure that your dog can Heel on Left in a straight line with moderate distractions.
- Have two training assistants stand facing each other about 8 feet apart.
- Position you and your dog between your two assistants with your dog on leash and in the sit position on your leftside (seated heel position).
- Hold a treat in your left hand, issue your heel command, heel to the left around the first person, heel across the middle, heel around the second person, and stop/halt when your team returns to the center (making a figure 8). As you learned in the Heel on Left lesson, your dog should automatically sit when you halt.
Note: In competition, you will be required to perform two figure 8 patterns ending with an automatic sit.
Suggested Command Words:
Use the same command word that you selected in the Heel on Left lesson.
|Heel||Let’s Go||With Me||Be Close|
- It is very normal for your dog to be extremely interested in your training assistants, grass, and other distractions. Therefore, be sure to treat and reward when your dog follows your command.
- If your dog is very good a Heel Figure 8, have your assistants provide additional distractions such as noises or holding a toy.
- If you can’t find two assistants, you can practice Heel Figure 8 with two traffic cones or paint buckets.
Support Our Site
Online Dog Coach provides FREE content to promote healthy relationships with dogs through safe and responsible training. If you found this lesson to be helpful, please help support our website and content development by referring a friend or providing a monetary donation. Thanks for training with us.